I caused a BDC error this week that manifested itself on the user interface and in the 12 hive log at runtime.
First, this appeared in the user interface:
Could not find fields to insert all the Identifier Values to correctly execute a SpecificFinder MethodInstance with Name … Ensure input Parameters have TypeDescriptors associated with every Identifier defined for this Entity.
Here’s a screen shot:
I could also cause this message to appear in the 12 hive log at will (using my patented high-tech-don’t-try-this-at-home "mysterious errors" method):
11/14/2007 09:24:41.27 w3wp.exe (0x080C) 0x0B8C SharePoint Portal Server Business Data 6q4x High Exception in BusinessDataWebPart.OnPreRender: System.InvalidOperationException: The Identifier value ”, of Type ”, is invalid. Expected Identifier value of Type ‘System.String’. at Microsoft.Office.Server.ApplicationRegistry.MetadataModel.Entity.FindSpecific(Object subIdentifierValues, LobSystemInstance lobSystemInstance) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.BdcClientUtil.FindEntity(Entity entity, Object userValues, LobSystemInstance lobSystemInstance) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.BusinessDataItemBuilder.GetEntityInstance(View desiredView) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.BusinessDataDetailsWebPart.GetEntityInstance() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.BusinessDataDetailsWebPart.SetDataSourceProperties()
I searched around and found some leads in the MSDN forum, but they weren’t enough for me to understand what I was doing wrong. I watched a webcast by Ted Pattison that my company has squirreled away on a server and came to realize my problem.
In my ADF, I’m connecting to a SQL database as shown:
<Property Name="RdbCommandText" Type="System.String"> <![CDATA[ SELECT SETID, CARRIER_ID, EFFDT, DESCR, EFF_STATUS, TAXPAYER_ID, NETWORK_ID, FRT_FORWARD_FLG, ALT_NAME1, ALT_NAME2, LANGUAGE_CD, COUNTRY, ADDRESS1, ADDRESS2, ADDRESS3, ADDRESS4, CITY, NUM1, NUM2, HOUSE_TYPE, ADDR_FIELD1, ADDR_FIELD2, ADDR_FIELD3, COUNTY, STATE, POSTAL, GEO_CODE, IN_CITY_LIMIT, COUNTRY_CODE, PHONE, EXTENSION, FAX, LAST_EXP_CHK_DTTM, FREIGHT_VENDOR, INTERLINK_DLL, TMS_EXCLUDE_FLG FROM dbo.PS_CARRIER_ID_VW WITH (nolock) WHERE (SETID <> 'SHARE') and (lower(CARRIER_ID) >= lower(@MinId)) and (lower(CARRIER_ID) <= lower(@MaxId)) and (lower(DESCR) LIKE lower(@InputDescr)) ]]> </Property>
I was provided that SQL from a DBA person and I’m given to understand that it’s a special view they created just for me. The unique key there is CARRIER_ID.
Here is the bug I introduced:
<Identifiers> <Identifier Name="CARRIER_ID" TypeName="System.String" /> <Identifier Name="DESCR" TypeName="System.String" />
Somewhere along the line, I had managed to confuse myself over the meaning of <Identifiers> and added DESCR even though it’s not actually an identifier. I took DESCR out of the identifiers set and presto! It all worked.
I hope this saves someone some grief 🙂